One holiday season, years ago, Starbucks had a feature drink: Peppermint White Hot Chocolate and it has been my drink of choice ever since, no matter the time of year!
So when I came across a recipe online for making your own hot chocolate with nothing more than milk and a chocolate bar I knew that I had to try it and of course include my peppermint!
Instead of opting for super sweet peppermint syrup, I've chosen to add a nip of peppermint schnapps. I was lucky to get my hands on a bottle of Hansen Distillery's seasonal Peppermint Schnapps and I'm so glad for it. I love that Hansen Distillery is a family-run operation in Edmonton, Alberta. Their craft spirits are small-batch with locally sourced ingredients.
I found the original recipe on Purdys Chocolatier website so I quickly headed to my local mall and bought some bars. The original recipe calls for their "Gold Bar" but I decided to go with the Classic White Chocolate bar for this recipe (although I did purchase a Gold Bar just to eat and its a new favourite for sure!). The great thing about Purdys is that they are another Canadian company. Founded in Vancouver, BC in 1907 when the founder started selling homemade chocolates. Now they have over 80 stores across the country!
Now there's no better way to enjoy a drink like this than in a handmade vessel. Its also beneficial that clay is a natural insulator so it will keep my drink extra warm as I slowly sip and savour my Peppermint White Hot Chocolate. Don't have a handmade pottery mug? Pick one out now from our local Canadian potters.
White Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 Purdys Classic White Chocolate Bar (40g)
- 1.5 ounce of Hansen Distillery Peppermint Schnapps
- whipped cream (optional)
- Graham cracker crumbs for topping (optional)
- Roughly chop the chocolate bar
- In a small pot on the stovetop, warm the milk and add in the chopped chocolate bar
- Whisk continuously until the chocolate is melted and drink begins to steam
- Pour into your favourite handmade pottery mug
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs